G.I. Bill Options for Troops Wanting to Become Teachers

G.I. Bill Troops for Teachers

Photo by NDNG

The Post-9/11 G.I. Bill is an effort by the Department of Veteran Affairs initiated on August 1, 2009 to provide financial support for education and housing to former military personnel. To be eligible for the G.I. Bill, you must have at least 90 days of aggregate service after September 10, 2001 and have received an honorable discharge. Under the G.I. Bill, you can pursue numerous post-military careers by continuing your education and training. The G.I. Bill will provide funding for:

The bill will pay the full tuition and fees if you attend a public school in your state of residence (tuition is capped at $17,500 per academic year for private or foreign schools). If you are attending a more expensive private or public school as a non-resident out-of-state student, the bill’s Yellow Ribbon Program may be able to reimburse you for the difference. The bill also makes provisions for housing allowances and an annual books & supplies stipend of $1,000. For specific information regarding funding, reference the Department of Veterans’ Affairs G.I. Bill informational pamphlet. Certain service members are also eligible to transfer their G.I. Bill to their dependents.

While the G.I. Bill funds different post-military career paths, the Department of Veteran Affairs also offers programs in conjunction with the bill for service members who want to become teachers. The G.I. Bill can help you along the way to becoming a teacher and can help you pursue an online Master’s of Education, as advanced teaching degrees afford you many opportunities for career advancement. The following are associated programs you can use to fund your journey to becoming a teacher.

Montgomery G.I. Bill
The Montgomery G.I. Bill is different because it requires members to enroll and pay $100 per month for 12 months. Members are then eligible to receive education benefits after completing the required term of service. Benefits may be used for the same educational purposes as funding from the Post-9/11 G.I. Bill, especially for teaching certificates and education programs like a Master’s in Teaching.

Educational Assistance Test Program
The Educational Assistance Test Program offers benefits to members of the military who entered active duty after September 30, 1980 and before October 1 1981. Specific eligibility requirements can be found in the Department of Veterans’ Affairs Educational Assistance Test Program pamphlet. Generally, the program offers assistance allowance for educational expenses and subsistence allowance for living expenses. Though the funding is not as much as the G.I. Bill, it is still helpful, especially for those who have reenlisted in the military. You must have at least two full years of service to be eligible for this program.

Reserve Educational Assistance
The Reserve Educational Assistance Program provides educational assistance for members of the Reserves who have been called to active duty in response to a declaration of war or national emergency. To be eligible for the program, you must have at least 90 days of active service after September 11, 2001.

Veterans Educational Assistance Program 
Benefits under the Veterans Educational Assistance Program are available only if you elected to contribute a portion of your military pay to the program during your period of service. Eligible military personnel must have entered service for the first time between January 1, 1977 and June 30, 1985, and opened a contribution account before April 1, 1987. Your contributions must have totaled between $25 and $2,700, for which the program matches your contributions $2 for $1. These funds may be used for continuing your education, professional development or attaining licensure or certification.

Troops to Teachers
Though not part of the Post-9/11 G.I. Bill, the Troops to Teachers program is another great option for service members who are looking to receive benefits that will help them become educators. View our page on Troops to Teachers for additional information.

Subscribe to Certification Map’s monthly newsletter to receive updates about teacher certification, education news and much more!